Sheebs'

The sarcastic view of a teenager-soon-to-be-woman who truly believes that the world gets stupider by the minute.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Be afraid of Sarawak

Dedicated to those who have never been to Sarawak:

I was browsing through the Star archives and I came across this story.

NO MORE HEAD HUNTING IN SARAWAK
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/12/16/nation/16337512&sec=nation

According to the story, many civil servants are reluctant to transfer to Sarawak because of their fears of head hunting, black magic and curses.
You know, that would be more believable if one says that article was written in the 1920s.

Here's a bit of info, people: HEAD HUNTING HAS BEEN OUTLAWED SINCE THE DAYS OF JAMES BROOKE!

*sigh* I've lived in Sarawak all my life and there are only 3 kinds of head hunting I've heard of.

1. The skulls supposedly hidden under the old Satok Bridge (They were supposed to protect the Bridge from falling down but apparently they didn't do a very good job cos the bridge has nose-dived into the Sarawak River)

2. The "Head hunter" logo on the mass produced Sarawak T shirts which I'm supposed to buy for a friend but never got around to doing so (sorry Zul.. Hehe...)

3. The skulls that are hung from the roof of a baruk in my kampung.
OK, maybe the above examples are not exactly the best examples to prove my point but in my defence, Example 1 and 3 refer to heads that were hunted before World War 2!

Here are some facts about Sarawak for all those who have never been here:

1. We do NOT kayuh around in perahu. We're modernlah! We attach giant balloons to our Kelisas and push them into the waters of the Sarawak River and tekan minyak. Of course, our engine will definitely get spoiled and there goes the lovely interior decor, but what would we know? Kamek orang Sarawak bah!

2. We have pretty girls. I mean, anyone who's watched Sleeping Dictionary knows that Jessica Alba is actually an Iban. That and she's got really nice breasts. Not that I saw them anyways.

3. We have longhouses too. You see, one terrace house is about 100m in length (approximation only. I was never any good at distance. I mean, I only told my Mandarin lao shi that Kuching was only 500km from Shah Alam.) So, if you put 5 terrace houses in a row, thats 500 m! See, they become LONG-HOUSES!

So, to those civil servants who refuse to come to Sarawak, all I have to say is: you're missing out on a whole lot of good food. Which reminds me, I want my laksa now.

Disclaimer: Jessica Alba is not really Iban. But I bet you all are smart enough to know that. :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home